Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lesson #1: Earn Your Students' Respect

    As a substitute teacher, I have the opportunity to teach at many different schools and in many different classrooms. It is very challenging being a sub. When the students first spot me in their classrooms, I always hear them whispering, "Yay, we have a sub today!" However, I always catch them off guard by responding, "Should I be scared of what you have planned for me?" They laugh, and the ice is usually broken.

   I am pretty new to teaching, but after a few weeks of subbing, I feel like a veteran. Every sub has to go through district "training," but no one ever gives you survival tips. Those you have to learn the hard way - by surviving a day of class clowns and very, very chatty adolescents who could careless if you were there or not. The students' impression of a sub is that they are powerless. How do you change their viewpoint?



Here are a few tips that every sub and regular teacher should follow to earn the students' respect and/or reinstate your authority:

1. First Impressions are EVERYTHING! I make sure I greet every student that walks through the door. I always ask the early arrivals questions to make them feel important or break the ice. That way they will spread the word that I am a "cool" sub.

2. Introductions I believe that teachers should always remember their experiences when they were in school. I remember that subs and most teachers were very mysterious. I saw them everyday and knew nothing about them. My secret is that I tell them that they can call me Ms. Godare, Ms. G or Ms. G6 (a name that some students gave me when I student-taught 6th grade last semester). It never fails. "Ms. G6?! That is the coolest nickname ever!" Then, I hear students quietly sing "Like a G6" by the Far East Movement. I always respond, "Yep, I come with my own theme music". Why do I do this? Because it connects me to the students. It let's them know that I am "with it" and we share common interest, music!

3. Questions I go one step further with introductions. I allow the students to ask me 3 good questions for them to get to know me better. I remind them that it has to be GOOD questions not "if I like pickles." Jokes are always good! Students respond better when a teacher uses humor. Surprisingly, I always get asked the same questions:
  • "What college did I attend?" (Bottom line: Are you qualified to teach us?)
  • "How old are you?" (Bottom line: Are you sure you are qualified?)
  • "What inspired you to become a teacher?" (Bottom line: Ok. You are qualified, but do you really want to teach us.)
Students want to trust and respect their teachers (even subs), but you have to prove to them that you are worthy of trust and respect.

4. Talk the Talk I hear it all the time. "Ms. G6, you are the best teacher ever!" (It's a sorry dog that doesn't wag it's own tail.) When I am told this, I ask why. Feedback is important, even for teachers. I am told time and time again that it's because I don't "baby them." I talk to 5th and 6th graders like adults. I never thought that I treated them any different than other teachers, but according to them, I do. They want the responsibility. They feel that they are ready. Therefore, give them the chance to prove to you that they are responsible. 

5. Questions. Answered. Another response that I get when I ask them why I am a cool teacher is that I listen to them and answer their questions. This floors me. Is it not a teacher's job to answer questions? Students claim that they are ignored by their teachers on a daily basis. They tell me that they feel unimportant and stupid when they have a question.  "Our teacher tells us that she doesn't have enough time to answer our silly questions." How sad is it that teachers are so consumed with other things that they don't have enough time to help a student understand their classwork?

Reference: Judd, P. (2011). I presume you're the substitute teacher? Available from www.cartoonstock.com


5 comments:

  1. I really like your take on subbing. I just graduated in May and subbing actually scares me more than having my own classroom. When you have your own classroom, you build the respect and relationship with the students from the first day and it grows throughout the year. However, when substituting, you don't gete that amount of time. Sometimes you only get a day!

    I am interested as to how you respond and how the comedy technique works when students do act up or don't do what they are asked. Are you able to flip that easily to your "teacher" voice and get the room or that particular student back on track?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, it is pretty easy to switch back to strict teacher voice. Since I gained their respect and established common interest (music), they quickly return to their serious student mode. What is neat is that some students take care of the unruly students, who still don't respect me since they view me as just a sub. It's like auto-correct. :)

    I have only subbed a little last year, and about 3 days/week this year. I would work more, but it's tough to get sub assignments. Everyday, I hear other teachers comments, "I could never be a substitute. How do you do it?" Well, it is challenging learning new routines on the spot, and maintaining a new classroom, but it is never boring. I am only subbing to get my foot in the door and land that perfect full time position. While I did hate it when I fist started subbing, I have a different take on it now. You gain an insight on how different forms of technology, classroom management practices, and lessons are used and presented. I have learned so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make some excellent points here and I have found that different schools, even with the same district, can have very different cultures.

    I substitute in secondary classes, mostly grades 8-12. Here are some things I have picked up as a substitute:
    The best offense is a good defense! Be Prepared. If I know what my assignment is ahead of time, I check the teacher's website to try to determine what they are learning. Some teachers are good about leaving lesson plans, but often because of personal issues, like sudden illness or emergencies, nothing is there for you. It is important that students see a substitute as a continuum, not an interruption.

    I also recognize where my strengths are academically. Kids know when you have no idea what you are talking about (for me that would be Science).

    Utah State University has a Substitute Teacher Handbook that offers many suggestions, strategies and activities for subbing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your 5 survival tips for substitutes and even teachers. First impressions are everything and when you greet students at the door looking them in the eye, they catch on to a couple of things: 1.) you aren’t scared. 2.) they exist. These are two very important esteem issues for the teacher and student, bullies and the meek.

    I like how you also take the time for introductions so the students know what they are up against along with questions and answers. You cut straight to the chase, no lost time with them “testing the waters.” They know were you stand and what you expect of them.

    Lastly, talking the talk. Everyone deserves and craves respect and responsibility. And you give this to them. If more subs were like you, I would definitely take more days!! I’m always super cautious about who I ask to sub and the assignments I leave. Most times subs just babysit; my room is left in a mess and the assignment was not completed if even handed out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your blog! I subbed some when I was in college and my husband has done it for several years. Your points are right on the money. I have heard students say over and over, "oh we had a sub so we didn't do anything!" I think that is such a waist of time for the professional at the other end of that comment. Your guide could really help young substitutes and teachers for that matter understand the dynamics involved in substitute teaching and how to better reach the students so that class time is still productive. I appreciate when I do get a substitute and know she did a good job by the way the students talk about her. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be the cool sub, while deploying a reverse psychology technique and still being able to get them to do their work. You laid it out in a very practical way. Talk to the students, help them with their work instead of just telling them what there work is, get to know them. Good work, I wish you subbed at my school!

    ReplyDelete